As the weather starts to warm up in the Old Pueblo of Tucson, the gears start turning to plan for the beloved “festival of festivals” — this year marks the 44th edition of Tucson Meet Yourself!
At the moment we are preparing for a significant change in the festival’s footprint:
Due to renovation work being done in the Old Pima County Courthouse, TMY will not have access to or through the Courthouse this year. The festival will still be fully implemented at both El Presidio and Jacome Library Plaza. We will have ample and illuminated signage to indicate access points connecting Presidio and Jacome on the two sides of the Court House. To accommodate all the Folk Artists who are usually housed in the courtyard of the Court House we have moved the Stage on Church Ave to Alameda. Alameda will be closed to traffic from Court (Museum of Art crossing) to Church (a map will be posted soon). All Folk Artists will be on Church Street. We have relocated some of the Food Vending spots that were near the stage on Church to Alameda. This is the first time in 45 years that TMY will not have access to the Old Pima County Courthouse; we are excited, however, about the possibilities of the new footprint. We are working closely with the City of Tucson and Pima County to make this change as successful as possible.
What else is happening inside the TMY family during the summer months? At the moment we are:
- reviewing all Food Vendor applications
- reviewing all Community Matters applications
- Curating the Performance schedule for our 3 stages
- Working final agreements with special GUEST ARTISTS we will feature this year
- Preparing for an exhibit at the event on Masters of Traditional Arts.
- Gathering ideas for special presentations at our wonderful City of Gastronomy Kitchen Stadium
- Hiring all the 25+ staff contractors who help us produce the event
- Recruiting Volunteers — the lifeblood of the festival!
- Raising money to make it all happen!
We are starting to get some press attention; the article below in Travel Magazine reminds you what special place we live in.
We will continue to update our website throughout the next several weeks/months leading to the festival. Lots of exciting announcements are coming. If you want to stay informed of all the great work we are doing, beyond the festival, sign up for our E-Journal BORDERLORE. You can subscribe here.